We’ve had a lot of questions in the office regarding these new devices hitting the market regarding spinal posture. So we figured we’d share some things to consider regarding these products & how it relates to your spine, nervous system, & physiology.
1. 𝗔𝘀𝗸 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲. Your posture is a direct reflection of the state of your brain & spinal cord. Posture is more related to the state of your brain health than it is your neuromuscular status.
2. 𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗲𝗻𝘃𝗶𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁/𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗖𝗔𝗨𝗦𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗼 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗲? When you’re less stressed, grateful, & excited for the day - how does your posture shift? Your heart lifts, you stand up taller, & your eyes look out into the horizon ready for your day.
Alternatively, when you’re overwhelmed, bored in your relationship, depressed about your job, don’t feel appreciated, & ungrateful for life, how does your posture shift? Your neck flexes, shoulders round forward, heart sinks, chest caves in, & tailbone curls in fear of the next moment, unable to adapt to what life throws at you.
3. 𝗗𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗲 𝗮 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗯𝘆𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿 𝗶𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲 𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗻 𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗽𝗮𝗻𝘁 & 𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆? These devices & products can be helpful when a severe acute injury is present. However, with braces long term your nervous system learns it doesn’t have to work & adapt on its own. It becomes reliant on external devices to do it’s job, causing more issues, compensation, & maladaptive patterns into the future.
You don’t have poor posture because of a lack of spinal braces. Similarly, you don’t have a “cold” because of lack of medications. The symptoms you’re experiencing directly relate to the state & function of your brain, nervous system, & energetic capacity to align your life or not. Your posture isn’t just about your back. It’s about how you CHOOSE to stand up & embrace your authentic self in every moment.
𝗢𝘂𝗿 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗮𝗱𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲 & 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗶𝘁 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗮𝗹 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗹𝘁𝗵:
1. Get your spine & nervous system checked by an expert who understands the power of finding the CAUSE vs. chasing/masking symptoms. Connect with us if you need help finding someone near you.
2. Choose exercises/programs that focus on 𝘼𝘾𝙏𝙄𝙑𝙀 care to shift your physiology. We personally love at this moment Somato Respiratory Integration (check out our free classes we teach) and Functional Patterns MN. You can learn more about their approach to well-being and movement here.
Yours in health & empowerment,
The Inspire Team